Are you thinking about listing your home right now, but hesitant because of the holiday season? If you want to move, don’t let it hold you back. In fact the holidays are usually a strong period for home sales.
Why? Companies want their employees to relocate prior to the new year, families want to move and settle before the second semester of school starts, and some just like to buy new things that can’t fit under a tree or be wrapped.
If you do decide to put your home up for sale, here are a few things to consider:
- Decorate, but don’t over decorate. Yes, there can be too much of a good thing. Holiday decorations can brighten your home and make it festive, but if there are too many chotzkes sitting around your home will look cluttered. In staging your home, less is always more.
- Keep religious items to a minimum. Even though most of the holiday celebrations have a religious origin, too many religious artifacts can be offputting. This is especially true when the buyer doesn’t share those same beliefs. Again, less is always more.
- Clean like you’re having a holiday party every day. If you home is anything like mine, that day we are having guests over is a day filled with cleaning. Just pretend that everyday is like that and you’ll be ready for a showing at a moments notice.
- Be flexible with your schedule. The last thing you want to do after working so hard to be ready for a showing is to turn it down because your schedule has a conflict. Always have a Plan B. If you’re have guests over for dinner and the showing call comes in, get creative. Maybe you can make it a progressive dinner and start at your friend’s house while the showing is happening.
- Be ready to move. Have a plan ready in the event that you get an offer and the possession date is on the worst possible day. You don’t want to lose a sale (especially a full price offer) just because it’s a week earlier than you’d like. It may be true that this won’t be your only offer, but it may be your best.
The holidays are a lot of fun, but they can also very hectic. Just looking at my calendar, I have three different school shows and two business parties to attend in the next week. It can be challenging to always have your home at the ready for a showing, but in a time when buyers are out looking, and there are fewer homes on the market, the holiday season may just be the perfect time move.
If you want more information about how to sell your home fast and for the highest price download my free guide Sold in 7 Days. Also, if you would like to be connected with one of our Approved Local Agents, feel free to reach out to me at email@example.com with your phone number and one of my team members will call you right away.